Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Just TEXT me....

Technology today has jumped into high gear and is running everything that we as Americans live on everyday. In our offices at work, we use computers to file data and email to communicate with clients. At school, we use laptops to write essays and research papers while texting our friends on our cell phones. At home, our eyes are glued on the t.v. or checking out the new dvd's while using the Internet to chat on AIM.
Are you noticing a trend here? There is no interpersonal communication. As a society, we have taken advantage of picking up a phone and easily calling someone. Instead, we would rather take the easy way out and send a quick text message or shoot an email. Students learn and take classes on how to communicate better in the real world and the work place for better personal skills. What they really should be teaching to students is how to correctly spell and write professionally before the younger generation looses everything we have built up in the English grammer. Students at the University of Cincinnati have a few thoughts about how they communicate and how technology has changed their lives today.

"We as a society take advantage of technology. We need more face-to-face communication, but that takes work and time, and we dont always have them! It has made things more convenient for me and it is easier to manage multiple priorities, complete work and do research. I usually use my cell phone to communicate like texting and I cancelled my land line because it was never used."
Cheryl MacDonald, full-time UC A&S Student, 40 year old mother of 2

"I utilize my computer and the Internet daily, and cannot imagine life without it. But my real connection is to my Iphone. I love it! It does everything! It is easy to let technology break down the lines of communication between people. It seems like an increasing number of people have forgotten how to interract with one another face to face. Were much more comfortable these days adding friends to our Facebook pages than inviting friends over for a meal or to play a game. When it comes to friends that do not live close to me, e-mail is a great tool for keeping in touch. As a journalist, technologies such as Facebook and other networking sites makes it easier for me to find out quick facts, to contact people I have never met, and to be able to tell a multifaceted story from the comfort of my desk."
Jathan Fink, full-time UC Journalism major

"I use a computer in my everyday life to communicate and do tasks but I do not have a cell phone. Yes I know it is 2009 but I dont want to spend the money on one if I dont have to have it. Some people may use technology as an excuse to neglect interpersonal communication, but I think those are the same people how in 1990 were glued to the TV and in 1950 were bookworms. Technology can be used for socializing ( like organizing an event through Facebook)or avoiding people( tweaking your Facebook profile for hours) so you dont have to talk to them.
Craigslist gave me so much free and cheap used furniture that I was able to furnish an apartment for less than $300. I would never give up using these tools because of the advantages they give me."
Elizabeth Lasky, full-time UC A&S student

No comments: